Guard or guard 5e in the dungeon and dragon is a trained armored soldier that is responsible for defending your territory or the Water-deep. The guard routinely patrols around the city or territory, The Guards or Guard 5e include Members of a City Watch OR City Guard, sentries in a Citadel or fortified town, and the bodyguards of merchants and nobles.
You can always make your own my guards on low or high CR but what matters is to train to have the ability to call more or guard when in distress, and is what sets them apart. Check out the Longbow 5e: The 5e Longbow Martial Weapons 5e
You can add a ‘Raise the Alarm to your guards! – So If a guard is not in a secluded location a guard may use an action to raise the alarm. This can be done either by shouting or ringing a bell, in a situation the alarm brings an additional guard every 3 rounds; this effect stacks for every guard who raises the alarm. This makes them much more deadly as an organization.
Major Attributes of Guard 5e
|Attributes of Guard 5e|
|AC||16 (Chain Shirt, Shield)|
|Languages||Any One Language (Usually Common)|
|Roll 0||One Handed 1d20 + 3 1d6+1|
|Roll 1||Two Handed 1d20 + 3 1d8+1|
|Type||humanoid (any race)|
Actions of a 5e Guard
The actions that are expected from the guard are as follow
- Multiattack. The captain makes at least two melee attacks.
- Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage or 7 (1d10 + 2) slashing damage if used with two hands.
- Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 150/600 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.
- Spear: Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d6 + 1) piercing damage or 5 (1d8 + 1) piercing damage if used with two hands to make a melee attack.
Where can the Guard Comes From
Guards come in all spheres of life, so expect to see guards of wealthy people or areas to be better equipped than the basic guard. Small villages might use bows to fight on the open plain; mining towns could use metal martial weapons and heavier armor like breastplates or chain mail.
The palace guards might even use heavy armor and possibly halberds. You are free to adjust the guard’s stats based on experience, training, and role.
How to Challenge Players of Different Level
Below is a list of suggestions with a range of health to challenge players of different levels. For example, a royal Captain of the guard might use Elite and Leader mods, putting it at 50-225 health with high stats and 3 attacks.
All of these stat suggestions refer to changes to the base stats given, not the modifiers. Also, check out the Cone of Cold 5e in Dungeon and Dragon Spells
Level of Guard 5e
- Basic: 10-25 Health
- Skilled: 15-35 health, +1 STR/DEX, +1 WIS
- Expert: 20-50 health, +2 STR/DEX, +2 WIS, +1 CON, Possibly +1 Attack
- Elite: 25-75 health, +3 STR/DEX, +2 WIS, +2 CON, +1 Attack
Role of the 5e Guard
- Leader: 2-3 x Health, +3 CHA, +2 INT, +1 All Other Stats, +1 Attack
- Champion: +2 STR, DEX, CON, +1 Attack
- Sentry/Scout: -1 STR, +2 DEX, +2 WIS, DEX Based Gear
- Heavy: + 5-20 Health, +3 STR, -2 DEX, +2 CON, Heavy Armor and Weapon
You can as well add a feat if you feel that it’s needed. Make elite sentries, give them crossbow expert and heavy crossbows and call them “Dragon Slayers” Remember to always take expert guards, give them pack tactics and call them “Shield Brothers” Just have fun with it.
Guard 5e Captains
In most cases, the guard captains are known as influential guards, thus they are always a step higher in their chain of command and are also more effective, One Guard 5e captain may have authority over from 3 -20 lower-ranking guards.
When a Guard 5e captain is keeping watch over a large area with a sizeable unit, the guard captain will tend towards the center position from which commands can be issued most effectively.
If a captain swears fealty to a kingdom or other bigger organization, it is likely subservient to knights, generals, or high-ranking nobles. Check out the Cloak of Protection 5e: A Wondrous DnD 5e Magical Item
- Armor Class: 17 (chain shirt, shield)
- Hit Points: 45 (7d8 + 14)
- Speed: 30 ft.
15 (+2) 14 (+2) 14 (+2) 10 (+0) 12 (+1) 13 (+1)
- Saving Throws Wis +3
- Skills Insight +3, Perception +3
- Senses passive Perception 13
- Guard 5e Languages :The guard 5e can be built from any one language (usually Common)
- Challenge 1 (200 XP).
Organization of the Guard 5e
Different functions relevant to the defense of the capital, town, and territories were served by guards or city guards. The Guard secured the city walls, gates, and their significant buildings within Waterdeep, as well as provided escorts for government officials.
The harbor and the roads that lead from Waterdeep to Amphail, Goldenfields, and Daggerford were also patrolled. Also, check out the Burning hands 5e in Dungeon and Dragon Spells
Ranks of the Guard
The City Guard, like the City Watch, had particular names for the members of their forces. Usually, a City Guard patrol consisted of twelve officers, whose commanding officer was known as the civilian.
A commanding officer was known as an aumarr, or senior civilar, holding the rank of captain, while one holding the rank of lieutenant was known as a shieldlar, or simply civilian. There was also one arm, or sergeant, and ten guards, or guardswomen, or trustees.